The Sociology department upholds and is committed to the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion in principle and in practice.
Our Mission to U
The Department of Sociology’s Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Committee is committed to:
- fostering equity, diversity and inclusion in curriculum, programming, and our departmental community;
- serving as liaison between students, faculty, and staff with ideas and concerns related to equity, diversity, and inclusion;
- offering information and resources to students, staff, and faculty to foster a more equitable, diverse, and inclusive campus.
The committee is comprised of representatives from the faculty, staff, undergraduate and graduate students in Sociology and Criminology majors.
Please reach out to the EDI committee with any comments, questions, concerns or ideas you have.
Land AcknowledgmentWe acknowledge that this land, which is named for the Ute Tribe, is the traditional and ancestral homeland of the Shoshone, Paiute, Goshute, and Ute Tribes. The University of Utah recognizes and respects the enduring relationship that exists between many Indigenous peoples and their traditional homelands. We respect the sovereign relationship between tribes, states, and the federal government, and we affirm the University of Utah’s commitment to a partnership with Native Nations and Urban Indian communities through research, education, and community outreach activities
Explore Courses and Research related to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion!
- SOC 2630 Ethnic Minorities in America
- SOC 3041 Sociology of Rock and Roll
- SOC 3310 Special Topics- Diversity and Inequality
- SOC 3334 Class, Race & the American Dream
- SOC 3337 Gender & Sexuality
- SOC 3380 Social Inequality
- SOC 3381 Exploring Inequality Through Music and Film
- SOC 3769 Social Disparities in health
- SOC 4892 Diversity Internship
- All Sociology Courses
Additional CSBS Resources!
For more information on diversity within CSBS please follow the link below to explore more about the committee, teachings, and getting involved!
Sociology Community Scholarship Available!
The Department of Sociology prides itself on being one of the most diverse undergraduate majors at the University of Utah. Many of our highest achieving students come from historically underrepresented groups. Students from these backgrounds have surmounted great odds to succeed in their college careers and they face many challenges, especially financial ones, as they strive to complete their degrees. The Sociology Department is collaborating with alumni and supportive members of our community to provide the Sociology Community Scholarship.