The Population Studies Program
What is Population Studies?
Population Studies is a highly interdisciplinary field investigating processes of fertility, migration, and aging (including mortality) as they influence the size, structure, and distribution of populations across time and space. Population Studies scholars address the social structural and contextual determinants of demographic outcomes and their relevance for sustainability, human health, and wellbeing. This program emphasizes family demography, fertility, health and aging, and migration.
Specific foci of research amoung faculty include:
- Family formation, fertility and birth outcomes
- Immigration and health
- Social determinants of health
- Life course approaches to health and human development
- Social epidemiology
- Work, family and gender inequality
- Health and fertility of sexual minority populations
- Gender, sexual orientation and identity
- Families and caregiving
- End-of-life, widowhood, and bereavement